I have posted this diet for informational purposes only, please always check with your doctor before starting this diet, or any diet/exercise program.
3 Day Diet
Breakfast–1/2 Grapefruit, 1 Slice of Toast, 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter, and Coffee or Tea
Lunch--1/2 Cup of Tuna, 1 Slice of Toast, and Coffee or Tea (any brew, as long as it’s caffeinated)
Dinner–3 ounces of any type of meat, 1 Cup of Green Beans, 1/2 Banana, 1 Small Apple, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (YUM)!!
Breakfast–1 egg, 1 Slice of Toast, and 1/2 Banana
Lunch–1 Cup of Cottage Cheese (Or 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese), 1 Hard Boiled Egg, and 5 Saltine Crackers
Dinner--2 Hot Dogs, (no buns), 1 Cup of Broccoli, 1/2 Cup of Carrots, 1/2 Banana, and 1/2 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream
Breakfast–5 Saltine Crackers, 1 Slice of Cheddar Cheese, and 1 Small Apple
Lunch-1 Hard-Boiled Egg, and 1 Slice of Toast
Dinner–1 Cup of Tuna, 1/2 of a Banana, and 1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream
This diet works on chemical breakdown and is proven. Do not vary or substitute any of the above foods. Do not use any other seasoning. The diet is to be used for three days at a time.
In three days you should lose up to 10 pounds. After three days of dieting, you can eat your normal foods, but do not over do it. After four days of normal eating, you may start back on the 3 day diet again. You can lose up to 40 pounds in a month if this diet is followed precisely.
This is a safe diet and can be used by many different individuals and body types. Exercise is recommended.
REMEMBER: Do not eat/snack between any of the meals!
NOTE: Coffee or tea for the first two meals of Day 1 only. Water only from then on. Water intake is always unlimited anytime. (Within reason, of course, don’t make yourself throw up).
TESTED AND APPROVED ADDITIONS
- Small amounts of mustard
- Small amounts of relish
- Lemon pepper
- Sugar free gum and mints
Please read this entire section, I feel that it’s important!
If you’ve read the whole diet plan above, you will have read that there are to be no substitutions on this diet. It says that for a reason. It’s not so that we can make you eat yucky food or to make it sound diet-ish, (my own word). The foods on the menu work together and provide the proper chemical reactions in the body that will boost metabolism, provide energy, help with sugar swings and jump start the fat burning process.
However, I’m bombarded with questions on substitutions everyday, and I felt that I should comply to some of your requests and do a little research. For the record, “I still DO NOT RECOMMEND substitutions.” The results are not guaranteed. They are not guaranteed to work – and in fact may not. It may not even be the best recommended substitution. I’m only providing this resource, based some on research, for your convenience and due to the popular demand. If you choose to substitute, you do so at your own risk.
I understand that some must find an alternative due to health and medical reasons. I completely understand your dilemma, and it is for those people that I truly dedicate this section. Omitting a menu item because you do not like the taste is really not the best reason to skip it. Please do not complain that you have had less than expected results if you didn’t try to follow the menu as close as possible. However, please know that I’m here for each one of you and I wish all of you great success, whatever your choices! That’s why I do what I do. It’s all about the end result and our health after all, is it not?
With that being said, I will fill you in on some of my research findings and we’ll see how this goes. I encourage those who choose to substitute to post their results, both here, and on our Facebook page, and as to whether or not that you feel that substituting was a good choice. This will help others along their journey that may have the same questions.
*Substitutions can often be made by switching out with something that has the same nutritional value. Such as similar amounts of fats, carbohydrates, calories, vitamin content, protein and/or fiber.
1 slice of toast (whole wheat bread). “One” of the following =
- 1 ounce (1/8 cup) of sunflower kernels (these are also gluten free, but refrain from the Planters brand which has traces of gluten)
- 1/2 cup of whole grain cereal (such as Kashi Go Lean)
- 1/2 high protein nutrition bar
- 5 ounces of meal replacement shake
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of low fat yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water at least 30 minutes before eating. Use another piece of fruit in its place when you eat.
Banana “One” of the following =
- 2 kiwi = 1 banana (so for 1/2 banana days have 1 kiwi)
- 1 cup of papaya
- 2 apricots
Peanut Butter “One” of the following =
- Soy butter
- Sunflower seed butter
- Same measurement of sunflower kernels
Tuna (Same measurement unless specified) “One” of the following =
- Cottage cheese
- 2 ounces of cooked chicken meat (to replace half cup of tuna, 4 ounces for whole cup)
- Flax seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
Hot Dogs (Beef or Turkey Franks) “One” of the following =
- Veggie Dogs
- Beans or lentils, any type (4 0unces, or half cup per frank)
Small Apple = Another “fleshy” type fruit such as plums, peaches, or grapes
Egg “One” of the following =
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 Chicken wing
- 1/4 cup of seeds or nuts
- 2 slices of bacon
Vanilla ice cream “One” of the following =
- Same measurement of strawberry or banana flavored milk (not chocolate because chocolate contains caffeine)
- Same measurement of low fat yogurt with small amount of fruit
- Apple juice
Green Beans “One” of the following =
- Lettuce leaves with a few cherry tomatoes
- Tomato (same measurement)
- 3 cups of raw spinach or 1 cup cooked and drained
- 2 cups of fresh spinach ( or 1/2 cup cooked, boiled, drained )
- Same measurement of beets
- 1 whole bell pepper
- ( Or ) make a small salad with 1 cup of fresh spinach, 1/4 bell pepper and a few cherry tomatoes. May use salt, pepper, mustard, lemon pepper or lemon juice to season)
Broccoli “One” of the following =
- Brussels Sprouts
Cheddar Cheese “One” of the following =
- Cottage cheese, (1 cup to substitute 1 slice)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 ounces of ham
Cottage Cheese “One” of the following =
- 2 Ounces of cheddar cheese (to substitute 1 cup of cottage cheese)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 ounces of ham
Coffee or Tea =
- Sugar free hot chocolate (the kind mixed with hot water)
MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT!
Many have asked if they should exercise on this diet. The answer is “yes!” You should exercise on every other diet and this one is no different. Remember, this diet is used by the military! You don’t find those people sitting on their rumps!
Exercise should also be incorporated on at least two of your days off. Now, the tricky part. The type of and duration of exercise depends on different factors such as current activity level and how lean you are.
If you are severely overweight, you might only be able to handle a brisk walk around the block until you get stronger. That’s okay. just keep moving! It’ll get easier eventually. Just don’t give up. You may only be able to walk around the block this week, but next week you can try two! At the end of your journey you may be strong enough to run a marathon! It is possible!
If you are already active and have more muscle, go ahead and push yourself even more! You’ll gain even more muscle and the more muscle you gain the more you can exercise!😉
You’ll look leaner and more toned and will be much healthier in general.
Of course it’s always wise, and recommended, to discuss your exercise program with a doctor, especially if you have medical/health conditions.
What about my 4 days off? I’m afraid I’ll gain it back!
Gaining the weight back on the four days off is a concern for many. Granted, if you decide upon cheesecake and candy bars instead of your fruit you may gain it back indeed!
However, it doesn’t have to be that way. As long as you keep up your good eating habits and stay active you will be able to keep it off. For those of you who may need help staying focused on the four days off, I suggest using a free service, My Fitness Pal. You can use it from your computer or mobile device. It’s very handy and helps you stay on track and keep you informed. It even helps you keep track of your exercise!
Additional tips for your four days off:
- Continue to drink your water as before. Take half of your weight in pounds and drink at least that many ounces of water. Example: If you weigh 160 pounds, drink at least 80 ounces of water per day. (More is needed for vigorous exercise, caffeine intake, etc.
- Take dietary supplements, including a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. Some other good choices are Omega 3, herbal system cleansers, and food enzymes. (DO NOT take supplements during the three days of the diet unless recommended by a health care provider).
- Continue exercising.
- Continue eating nutrition packed food although in more variety,
- Use your four days off to refocus and prepare for the 3 days back on.
SOME OF MY #1 RECOMMENDED TIPS!
- Drink “at least” half of your body weight in “ounces” of water 7 days per week.
- Do NOT weigh again until the morning of the 4th day. (Weight can fluctuate during the dieting period and leave you discouraged. This is important so that you stay focused).
- Take the four day break between cycles to refuel, refocus. and reset your metabolism.
- Take your measurements. (If you’re gaining muscle, the weight may not show on the scale as much as in inches lost because muscle weighs more than fat. But toning is VERY good! You can look lean with a higher number on the scale if you have toned muscle! That’s the case with a lot of military people).
- Follow the diet exactly for best results.
- Exercise! (You can save your biggest workouts for your days off to save your energy if you’re prone to weakness. Just exercise lightly on the three days, but be sure to really GET MOVING on those four days off)!
- Get support! (Whether it’s a family member, weight loss support group, our Three Day, Military Diet Facebook page or the comments section below. Read of others success and mistakes. Reach out if you have questions or need motivation. Also, return the favor to others. You may be the very one that gives them the words that they need to succeed)!
This post has been taken directly from http://blessedmommy.hubpages.com/hub/Lose-Up-To-10-Pounds-In-3-Days-On-The-3-Day-Diet and modified slightly by me.
I chose this particular link because back when I was 19, this diet was far stricter and had no substitutions available. I don’t like hard boiled eggs or carrots and I was thrilled to see someone had done the research and found acceptable substitutes that still maintained the effectiveness of this diet.
I will blog each day of the first full 7 days with a weigh in on Monday morning (when I start the diet), Thursday morning, and again on the following Monday morning after the 4 days off.